Powered by Blogger.
Welcome to my Weblog!
Welcome to 1 Mother 2 Another! To read my most recent weblog entries, scroll down. To read entries from one category, click the links at right. To read my journey from the beginning, click here. To find out more about me, click here.
Top 5s
Short on time? Click here to go to my Top 5s Page - links to my top five recommendations in every category from Breastfeeding Sites to Urban Living Solutions.

Some Day They'll Read Their Biographies. But Not Today.

Sunday afternoon Maddie came into our home
office and plopped down in Brian’s chair as I did some work
on my computer. She sat silently for a few moments, contemplatively
spinning in his wheelie chair before speaking.


“You know, Mommy, you’re a pretty decent writer,”
she finally said.


“Well, thank you,” I replied cautiously.


“I bet you could write a whole book if you wanted to,”
she continued.


“Maybe, hon – thanks for the confidence!” I
replied. More cautiously.


“I was thinking,” she said, finally swiveling around to
face me, “you could write a book about me and Cora –
our lives, the funny stuff we say, things you notice about us.
Because honestly, we’re pretty funny and I think a lot of
people would want to read about us.”


I stared at her. Had she been surfing the web and come across my
blog?



Nope. She really had this idea all on her
own.


And I should say here that the girls don’t know about my
blog. I’ve been saving it, of course, since I began writing
in 2005, and I have always intended to hand them a series of discs
– or even better, print the years out and have them bound
into books for the girls to peruse at their leisure. Every day when
I write, I think about what I want them to remember from their
childhoods, how I want them to know what was going on in my head as
I disciplined them or snuggled them or enjoyed our afternoons
together at Starbucks. I’ve always envisioned handing my work
over to them when they’re full-grown adults – or at
least well into their teenage years – and drawing closer to
them as a result.


But I’ve never censored my work, never held back how hard
motherhood is sometimes, how it makes me so frustrated or angry or
simply overwhelmed at moments. I don’t want to paint my days
as idyllic or insincerely perfect; that’s not fair to me, to
you, or to the girls down the road.


So I’ve never wanted to let the girls read my writing in
their early lives – I don’t want them to worry when
they read about a really bad day, or how I beat myself up once (or
a hundred times) for some mistake I made.


All this to say that the conversation at that moment was making me
a wee bit uncomfortable.


“Well, you know, honey, Mommy already does write a sort of
book about your lives,” I ventured. Maddie perked up.


“You do? Already?”


“Yep. Most days I try to write down what’s been going
on with you two, or funny things you’ve said that I want to
remember, or special events we’ll want to talk about in the
future.”


“And where’s it printed?” Maddie asked.


“Nowhere,” I answered truthfully, grateful for the
precision of the question.


“Oh,” Maddie said disappointedly. “I guess
it’s not that big a deal then.” And she got up and
left.


So the stories are safe for a while more. But some day, my girls
will sit down, maybe in a Starbucks over a hot cocoa, and dig in
and relive their childhoods – and hopefully know me a little
bit better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment