Powered by Blogger.
Welcome to my Weblog!
Welcome to 1 Mother 2 Another! To read my most recent weblog entries, scroll down. To read entries from one category, click the links at right. To read my journey from the beginning, click here. To find out more about me, click here.
Top 5s
Short on time? Click here to go to my Top 5s Page - links to my top five recommendations in every category from Breastfeeding Sites to Urban Living Solutions.

DeeJay Li'l C

Cora has a love of music, which is hardly
a surprise in this family. Her two big requests for Christmas were
a big giant cheetah (don’t ask, and yes, she got it) and an
iPod touch.


Yes, she got it. Don’t judge.


We found an 8gb refurbished one for a pretty great deal, so Santa
came through. But what I didn’t realize was that since it was
“official” and from the store, it also came with the
charger and the white ear buds.


The ear buds would not be a big deal, but I’m Over-Protective
Mommy and I really really don’t want those tender ears to
have music shoved WAAAAAAAAAAAY down in there. We put a volume
control lock on the girls’ iPods, but I just started letting
Maddie use ear buds this year, and then with the music on QUIET.
Otherwise, she and Cora have been using the more traditional foam
earphones that sit a little further out. And these particular
headphones are for kids, so there’s a limit as to how many
decibels it can reach anyway.



But Maddie’s been using the ear buds
sometimes because she thinks it makes her look Very Grown Up. So of
course, Cora has seen Sissy looking Very Grown Up and now wants to
look the same.


Reluctantly, I let her try the ear buds.


Thankfully, they absolutely do not fit and simply fall out of her
ears.


I could see, though, how crushed Cora was to be wearing the
“baby” headphones, so I took her shopping. We found
some big, puffy, over-ear ones that are SO retro but apparently SO
popular right now. In a very edgy black print trimmed with pink,
they have “Cora” written all over them. They are also
kid-sized, so we are set.


I’m happy at the distance the sound now comes out from her
ear, but I have to confess the headphones bring me an even greater
delight: my child now walks around like a 5-year-old Mix Master.
When she’s sporting those headphones, walking around singing
a song only she can hear and bustin’ a groove at the same
time, I can’t decide if she is just too dang cute or
terrifyingly hip.


Maybe a little bit of both.


Add to this the fact that she is working hard on learning how to
beat box (courtesy of Electric Company), and you’ve got a
very disconcerting image in front of you: a five-year-old
cherubic-looking girl in massive old-school (gold-trimmed)
headphones, spontaneously breaking into beat boxing, who answers to
the names Li’l C and C Note.


Heaven help us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment