Powered by Blogger.
Welcome to my Weblog!
Welcome to 1 Mother 2 Another! To read my most recent weblog entries, scroll down. To read entries from one category, click the links at right. To read my journey from the beginning, click here. To find out more about me, click here.
Top 5s
Short on time? Click here to go to my Top 5s Page - links to my top five recommendations in every category from Breastfeeding Sites to Urban Living Solutions.

Another Birthday Looming

Every day this week Maddie presses me
about her upcoming birthday in some fashion: asking if it’s
too late to add to her wish list (yes), wanting to know if
I’m getting stuff done for her party this weekend (of
course), and wondering aloud whether or not she’ll look
significantly different on the morning of her birthday.


‘Cause she’s aging and all.



Maddie’s the last of her close
friends to have a birthday; everyone else in her group is already
seven and she’s still dragging along at six. She’s used
to it by now, of course, but when your friend has already been
seven for, oh, eight months now, it’s hard for said friend to
muster up an appropriate amount of enthusiasm for Maddie’s
sake. Rather than blazing the way, Maddie is constantly playing
catch-up.


That’s ok with me.


Seven seems a rather big age. Nothing you can do to dress seven up
as even remotely toddler-like, or preschooler-ish. Seven is a
number thrown around for early-onset puberty, or child prodigies
holding concerts at Carnegie Hall. Seven is an age, in short, at
which Things Might Be Expected Of You.


I don’t think I’m ready for this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment