Powered by Blogger.
Welcome to my Weblog!
Welcome to 1 Mother 2 Another! To read my most recent weblog entries, scroll down. To read entries from one category, click the links at right. To read my journey from the beginning, click here. To find out more about me, click here.
Top 5s
Short on time? Click here to go to my Top 5s Page - links to my top five recommendations in every category from Breastfeeding Sites to Urban Living Solutions.

The Good Kind of Competition

Yesterday morning as the girls were
getting ready for school, Maddie said, “Hey, Cora, after
school do you want to go bike riding out in the front
circle?”


This is a complicated question to deal with, because Cora would
LOVE to go bike riding, but is a wee bit afraid of her bike. She
took the training wheels off in the spring and isn’t as
proficient on two wheels as she’d like, so avoids the bike to
keep from getting frustrated.


As I expected, Cora said grumpily, “No, I don’t really
want to ride my bike. I fall off too much. I’m no good at
it.”


Maddie didn’t give up. “Please?” she asked
sweetly. “If you come out front with me, I promise I’ll
hold your bike for you. Please, may I help you not be afraid of
your bike? You’ll have so much fun once you get past
that.”


Cora was silent for a moment, and then said rather ungraciously,
“I suppose so. I suppose I’ll let you help
me.”



Maddie beamed at her. “Cora, you are
the best sister in the whole world! Thank you so much for letting
me help you ride your bike! I really mean it- you’re the best
sister ever.”


Cora, still not quite ready to let go of the grumps, argued with
her. “No, I’m not! YOU are the best sissy in the world,
not me! Remember how when we’re in the pool and it’s
too deep for me to touch, and you hold me up? That makes you the
best sissy in the world!”


“Well, but remember how when we’re in the pool you let
me teach you how to tread water?” Maddie countered.
“That makes you such a great sister.”


Cora thought. “Maybe we’re the best sisters in the
world for each other?”


And they both smiled and grabbed hands to walk out together.


If only all days started that way –

0 comments:

Post a Comment