Powered by Blogger.
Welcome to my Weblog!
Welcome to 1 Mother 2 Another! To read my most recent weblog entries, scroll down. To read entries from one category, click the links at right. To read my journey from the beginning, click here. To find out more about me, click here.
Top 5s
Short on time? Click here to go to my Top 5s Page - links to my top five recommendations in every category from Breastfeeding Sites to Urban Living Solutions.

She's Not So Far From Wrong

The other day Cora and I were in a public
restroom – Cora sitting on the potty, me staring politely at
the back wall. This is how we do it. A moment of silence, and then
Cora said amiably, “You know, Mommy, Chiwallas are baby
dogs.”


A Chiwalla, in case you wondered, is a Chihuahua. Sure, I could
correct her, but who wants to? It’s so darn cute every time
she says it.


“Some Chihuahuas are baby dogs, you’re right, honey.
But some are grown-up dogs.”


“No, Mommy, a baby dog is called a Chiwalla.”



“Sorry, kiddo, that’s not
right. A Chihuahua is a type of dog – like a Labrador, or a
Dalmation. There are grown-up Chihuahuas and baby Chihuahuas. A
baby dog is called a puppy, no matter what type of dog it
is.”


Silence, as Cora struggles with her skirt. “Are you trying to
say that some Chiwallas – the tiny dogs – are
grown-ups?”


Relief. “Yes. Yes, I am.”


A hand comfortingly on my shoulder. “Oh, Mommy, you need to
do some more reading. I hate to tell you, but it’s just not
true.”


Cora goes to wash her hands and chortles to herself. “A
Chiwalla that’s a grown-up dog! That’s a good
one.” And she strides confidently out of the bathroom.


So confidently that I stand there a moment thinking, AM I wrong?


Oh, to have the ego of a child.

0 comments:

Post a Comment